Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Article | NaNoWriMo Day 24 -50K - Now What? The next steps on the journey to becoming an author...


NaNoWriMo Day 24

50 K – Now What? The next steps on the journey to becoming an author…   

I joined up for NaNoWriMo because I want to be an author.  Some may say they want to become a writer.  However, for me there is a difference between the two. 

A writer writes, as does an author.  They definitely have that similarity in common.  However, in my mind anyways, a writer doesn’t necessarily get published or get paid for their efforts.  An author on the other hand is published and has been paid for their work.  A successful author has the added bonus of being able to support themselves through their writing. 

I have been a writer for quite some time.  I did Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fiction on line in high school.  I have written character summaries for Amtgard.  I have started a myriad of unfinished work.

UNFISHED WORK…Unfinished work… unfinished work…   Hear how that echoes. Those are the words that haunt me.  How I am ever going to achieve my goal of becoming an author if I can’t even finish writing something to completion.  Never mind editing and polishing, we are talking first draft procrastination. 

Yes I have managed to hit 50 K, so yes that does technically make me a winner.  But the real win for me will be the finished first draft.  I completely understand how horrible a first draft is. I understand that it will serve more as an outline as I go in to hack and slash and tidy up plot holes and info dumps and every other crime committed in fiction. 

I am using NaNoWriMo to propel me into the future as a high velocity writer.  Or at the very least to maintain a daily writing habit.  That is the best possible plan of action to insure that I finish what I am writing, and that I continue to write other stories. 

Next very large step after that will be the editing and polishing faze.  I understand that the vast majority of this will come from me slaving away.  But I also know that there will come a time where I will need the voice of an outsider who is not family, as family is obligated to tell me how marvelous and witty I am.  Enter the critique group. 

Finding a critique group in the area was another reason why I had joined NaNoWriMo.  I didn’t, however, want to preposition a group that I did not know, especially without any credits but ambition under my belt.  NaNoWriMo, I figured, would give me the opportunity to meet like minded individuals, as well as figure out how far I could really push myself and my writing.  It would be a test run. 

I have now met so many new people with such great passion for writing that I want to include them in that endeavor as well if they are so like minded.  NaNoWriMo is about forming a community of like minded individuals that is open to every one of similar goals (sometimes very loosely related similar goals).  I want us to continue forward in the same tradition as what brought us together in the first place. 

I have planted the seeds on our local writing forum for NaNoWriMo to form a group of likeminded individuals that will continue in the NaNoWriMo spirit.  I am hoping that we keep in touch, continue writing, and when we are ready to subjugate ourselves and our stories -evolve to include critiquing.  Optimally we will also continue to get together on a regular basis to perform all of these tasks, doing it on our own allows for the potential of slackerhood.

The time is at hand to sign more unwritten contracts of commitment.  I can only hope I am not the only individual who is looking forward to this new adventure.

2 Comments:

Andy Taylor said...

Sounds like NaNo has awoken the author in you.

I joined the local NaNo group for the same goal last year - finding like minded individuals. I have been involved in a number of critique groups in Southern Ontario in the past and found them very helpful for my development as a writer.

The group I joined last year has made a more committed and productive writer and put me on the road to being a published author.

Hope you can get the same motivation and satisifaction out of your journey.

Book Minstrel said...

Thanks. I have high hopes for the future, but I think right now what I need is a solid sleep. And a good book with some solid reading time to remind me of what I want my book to resemble so I have a workable goal to achieve.

Good luck on your future endeavors and the road to becoming a published author.