Thursday, November 5, 2009

Article | NaNoWriMo Day 5 - My Novel is going to Kick your Novels ASS!!!

NaNoWriMo Day 5

My Novel is going to kick your Novels ASS!!!

Yesterday, I issued a challenge to our ML. It appeared that he was at the top of the word heap for our region, and I wanted that position. What I really wanted was a challenge and a goal to shoot for.

However, it was brought to my attention that the ML wasn’t holding spot number one. So I endeavored to track down everyone from our region, so I could put my fancy statistical data analysis skills to use. Which really means, I was going to try and keep a daily graph of everyone’s progress from our region. However, there are a few dilemmas that I have encountered:

  1. I have only tracked down 30 of the 49 homed.
  2. With numbers like that, it is time consuming. That is time I could better put towards my novel.
  3. I don’t want that responsibility of being on top of that on a daily basis. What if I forget, or don’t have time.
  4. And lastly, I didn’t really know were I was going to keep that info available online. Time not spent figuring that out = more novelling time.

Therefore, ladies and gents, my goal for NaNo is no longer making the 50 000 words. My goals is to also finish my first draft in November, and to place top 10 in my region, preferably number one.

I intend on using the weekends to really hammer out the word count, as I am one of the few lucky ones that do have weekends off and do not have kids. And to do all that nitpicky research I have been avoiding. There shouldn’t be much, but I have this fascination with nursery rhymes right now that needs to be satiated.



NaNoWriMo Day 4

UPDATE: After issuing yesterdays challenge to the ML, I feel a little ashamed to report that I only wrote a pitiful two paragraphs, which were more like outlines than novel fodder. There are no excuses this month, so in order to rectify yesterday’s problem (and for my body to recover) I am not going to the gym tonight.

0 Comments: