Friday, January 8, 2010

Update | One and a Half Giant Leaps Forward

Alright since I was such a slacker last night you my dears will be getting two posts. This one will be a catch up kind of post/update on my writing. The other one will be a book review. No it is not The Gathering Storm. I wish I were done, because man is it ever a compelling read. However due to time constraints and me actually wanting to keep my day job (need to pay the bills) I haven’t been sinking into it as deeply or as often as I would like. I hope to rectify that over this weekend.

The later part of 2009 led to a significant decrease in me posting actually book reviews. Don’t fear, while I was indeed in a slump I did not stop reading. So from now until I do finally post about the Gathering Storm review I will be posting the last of my 2009 reviews.

And now for my monumental update. Drum roll please……

I have been asked to join the Underground Writers. They are a writing group in my area. They were originally the Hypergraphic Society – a writing spinoff from NaNoWriMo 2008. However their were some differences in opinions as per why the group was formed and those that felt it was formed in order to write made yet another spinoff and formed the Underground Writers. Since then, I am their first new member. I met a lot of their members during NaNoWriMo 2009 and I am absolutely flattered and thrilled to the tips of my hair down to my toenails to be joining this group.

See last summer I decided that if writing is really what I wanted to do with my life it was time to start getting to it and stop talking about it. I started looking for communities where I could associate with like minded individuals. It is easier to jump off a ridiculously high bridge with a group of people than by yourself. Parents would strongly advise against it, but some things are best done in supportive groups.

There were a few gems I hit on in that search. That is where I discovered NaNoWriMo, the Three Day Novel contest, and the Hypergraphic Society. Now I decided that the Three Day Novel contest was a bit out of my league for a beginner like me, and that I wanted to ease my way in a bit more. I also didn’t want to approach a local writing group without knowing them first and with nothing but ambition under my belt. So I jumped on board the NaNoWriMo train. Of course it being only August I was left patiently waiting.

The great thing about NaNoWriMo is that it is filtered by regions. The regions get their own message boards. Also there are plenty of local events led by the ML. NaNoWriMo worked out marvelously for me, as it gave me the opportunity to meet the local writers, and get some street cred.

However, soon it became obvious that what I really wanted was the Underground Writers not the Hypergraphic Society. I was more interested in writing than promoting writing. Not that promoting it is not also a very viable endeavor, but for what I was looking for personally was the opportunity for critic. When joining NaNoWriMo I tried to make my intentions clear, I wanted to meet like minded individuals and continue to write after NaNoWriMo hopefully leading to critic. I was also trying to be honest, but didn’t want to come off as pushy either, just enthusiastic. Before NaNoWriMo finished I started talks regarding Monday night write nights. Not long after, I had an unofficial invite to the UW to be confirmed come January. January is here, and yesterday was my first meeting.

Guys I just want to say you rock. I am so incredibly happy to be a part of this team.

Which brings me to our next topic…..

Yesterday at the meeting Ad-Astra was brought up. It is a Science Fiction Convention held in Toronto – a few hours drive from here. Last year the UW went, and there are talks of getting a group together to go this year again. I’m afraid I came off as hesitant. Which I was, but it wasn’t due to lack of interest, it was more due to lack of funds. On the ride home, Cowboy and I discussed it. Things are tight, but things will also be getting better. This is important to me so we are going to make it work.

Last year WorldCon was held in Montreal, and due to various reasons I did not attend. I should have, but I was also scared too. I didn’t want to be networking and talking about my novel, when I hadn’t yet completed it. It would have made me feel like a poser. When I approach people I want them to take me seriously. Therefore, before attending Ad-Astra I want to finish and polish at least one of my manuscripts, currently leaning towards the 2009 NaNoWriMo project.

TADA!!! Those are my one and a half giant leaps forward in attaining my writing goals. This year is going to be a big year – I can feel it.

0 Comments: